You are here
-Originally named "Keakatis", Colonial + Revolutionary times: Called "Crom Pond"
French General Rochambeau - Army escaped near lake - Increased Output Near Lake
Several Farms + Dairy Farms- however, these Farms weren't wooded.
Land Acquired by New York State to use as a NYS Training School for Boys (South of Mohansic Lake)
Several Farms Purchased by NYS, |including Henry Strang's Mohansic State Hospital (600 Acres/ Plans 6000 "inmates"). (North of Mohansic Lake)
NY Central's Putnum Division constructs Mohansic Branch (Yorktown Branch -> Mohansic Lake)
Construction of railroad near Mohansic Lake through south side of Crompond Road begins
July 4th Murder Takes Place at Mohansic State Hospital, young attendant blugeoned to death while asleep
- NYC expresses concern over possible pollution of their water supply in the hospital/school adjacent to the lake
October 10th. First public meeting of the Joint Legislative Commitee
Plans for abandoned hospital and school
Mohansic Lake Reservation sold to West County for $1.00. (It becomes the first park in the WC Park System, now named "Mohansic Park")
New Nursery Started, containing 200,000 evergreens (pines,spruces) to be transferred to West parks and parkway
First Westchester Play Day held in the park on September 15th
Railroad abandoned. Golf course opens
Bronx River Parkway Extended (1927-1932) (20.7 Miles)
Civilian Conservation Corps, "CCC". (50,000 Members, 2,600 Camps)
Surplus trees distributed to community
Enter World War II; Camps end abruptly. Army takes over park. It was first used as an Army base, then as a rest/rehabilitation area for U.S./British servicemen fighting in the war.
After World War II: Park used as a storage base for large quantities of valuable war surplus for War Department.
Mohansic Barracks given to Peekskill. Vets to relieve Housing Shortage (Used as a Summer Camp).
Rec. Hall used as a community center. Used for Square Dancing-Was Burned
Governor Harriman Signs a bill returning parklands east of Taconic State Parkway to New York State -Becomes Mohansic State Park
Downing Park- Bill grants 25 acres to the Town of Yorktown
State Renames the park upon the centennial of FDR's birth
Friends of FDR State Park was founded